There are several diagnostic tools available to detect Retinal disorders.
Eye conditions like DME and AMD should be diagnosed in the early stages and the diagnosis should be followed up with treatment as soon as possible.9,10 Check with your eye specialist for early signs.
Before diagnosis, it is important to consider the history of the patient. In terms of medications, one should check for the use of insulin, oral hypoglycemics/anti-diabetics, antihypertensives, and lipid-lowering drugs in the past. Systemic history - past glycaemic control (Haemoglobin A1c), renal disease, cardiovascular events, hypertension, lipid levels, pregnancy – should be considered.
Here are a few diagnostic tools to help you detect these retinal disorders:
1. Ciulla TA, et al. Diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema: pathophysiology, screening, and novel therapies. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:2653-2664.
2. National Eye Institute. Facts About Diabetic Eye Diseases. Available at: http://www.nei.nih-gov/health/diabetic/retinopathy.asp; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
3. Fareed A. A review of diabetic macular edema. Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. 1997;3.
4. Watkins PJ. Retinopathy. BMJ. 2003;326:924-926.
5. American Diabetes Association. Living with diabetes. 2011. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/cornplications/eye-complications/; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
6. Canadian Diabetes Association. Diabetes and you: vision health. 2011. Available at: http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetesandyou/living/complications/vision-health/; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
7. Royal College of Ophthalmology. Diabetic Retinopathy Guidelines. 2012. Available at: http://www.rcophth.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2013-SCI-301-FINAL-DR-GUIDELINES-DEC-2012-updated-July-2013.pdf; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
8. Varma R, et al. Visual Impairment and Blindness Avoided with Ranibizumab in Hispanic and Non-Hispanic Whites with Diabetic Macular Edema in the United States. Ophthalmology. 2015;122(5):982-989.
9. Revisiting DME. Available at http://www.retinalphysician.com/printarticle.aspx?articlelD=106441; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
10. Eyre H and Kahn R. Preventing cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:1812-1824.
11. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse. Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your diabetes under control. 2008; NIH Publication No. 08-4349.
12. Mayo Clinic Staff. Lifestyle and home remedies. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wetmacular-degeneration/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20043518; Accessed on Mar 30. 2016.
13. WHO. Fact sheet 312: Diabetes. 2011. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en; Accessed on Mar 30, 2016.
14. The Amsler Grid. Available at http/www.amd.org/the-amsler-grid/; Accessed on Oct 05, 2017.
15. Crossland M, Rubin G; The Amsler chart: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Br J Ophthalmol.2007;91:391-393.
16. LUCENTIS® Summary of Product Characteristics. Novartis AG; Sept. 2015.
17. Hariprasad SM, et al. Vision-related quality of life in patients with diabetic macular edema. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008;92:89-92.
18. Facts About Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Available[online] at URL: https://nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts. As accessed on June 19, 2018.
19. Macular Degeneration. Available [online] at URL: http://www.northtexasretina.com/macular-degeneration.html. As accessed on June 19, 2018.
20. Age related macular degeneration. Available [online] at URL: http://rgw.com/patient-education/eye-diseases/age-related-macular-degeneration. As accessed on June 19, 2018.
21. Macular Degeneration. Available[online] at URL: https://patient.info/health/visual-problems/age-related-macular-degeneration. As accessed on June 19, 2018.
22. Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment. Available [online] at URL: https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/macular-degeneration/age-related-macular-degeneration-treatment#1. As accessed on June 22, 2018.
23. Diabetic Macular Edema. Available[online] at URL: https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetic-macular-edema#1. As accessed on June 19, 2018
24. Raman R and Bhende M. Sci J Med & Vis Res Foun June 2015 | volume XXXIII | number 2.
25. Diabetic Macular Edema. Available [online] at URL: http://eyewiki.aao.org/Diabetic_Macular_Edema. As accessed on June 22, 2018.
26. Anti-VEGF treatment. Available [online] at URL: https://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health-eye-conditions-z-eye-conditions/anti-vegf-treatment. As accessed on August 9, 2018.
27. DME. Available[online] at URL: https://www.preventblindness.org/diabetic-macular-edema-dme. As accessed on June 22, 2018.